RDU Paving, Inc. has vast expertise and experience constructing both asphalt and concrete driveways. We can pave new driveways as well as repair existing driveways. Every job is unique and should be examined by one of our professional estimators. The estimator will be able of to determine what the best solution is for your driveway including type of material, thickness, sub-grade, erosion, and drainage. RDU Paving, Inc. understands the importance of your decision to invest in your driveway and seeks to fully understand your goals, so that the outcome exceeds your expectations. RDU Paving’s crews are conscientious and deliver a high quality product with aesthetically pleasing results.
The Driveway Paving Services we offer are listed below. Please click on a category to learn more.
Performed from subgrade up with new ABC stone & asphalt.
Prevents moisture from penetrating area and causing further damage.
Coats pavement to protect, preserve, and renew pavement. 1 yr warranty.
Penetrates pavement to restore natural oils and viscosity. 3 yr warranty.
Removes failed pavement areas to prevent further damage.
Adds new layer of asphalt to restore pavement and extend life.
PAVEMENT DESIGN CONCERNS & PROCESS: A new asphalt or concrete paved driveway or repair is only as good as what’s underneath it. With new driveway paving, it is important to assess the subgrade to determine whether material needs to be removed or added or just graded differently to optimize drainage and reduce erosion. After the subgrade or stone base is prepared, we can then place asphalt or concrete for your driveway.
Selecting the correct driveway depth is critical to getting the maximum life expectancy out of your driveway. The driveway depth is dependent upon the type of vehicular or truck traffic. With Asphalt Repairs or Concrete Repairs, we need to examine the existing conditions including what’s below the driveway and whether there are any outside factors causing damage such as tree roots, erosion, or vehicles that are too heavy for the original road design.
Regarding Drainage and erosion control, RDU Paving has extensive experience with a full range of drainage repairs including: erosion control matting, geotextile blankets, culvert pipes, swales, and drains. Our pavement expertise enables us to both propose the most effective solution for your driveway and to successfully construct or repair your driveway to exceed industry standards.
NEW DRIVEWAY PAVING: If you are looking for a new asphalt or concrete driveway, RDU Paving can help you with your project. We can also help you if you need a gravel or stone driveway including replacement of stone that has washed away from a heavy storm. A new driveway should be carefully planned in order to ensure the longevity of your pavement investment. The first step to constructing a new driveway is for an estimator to visit your job site to ascertain what the existing conditions are and what your goals and concerns are as the customer. Once we have established this, we can formulate the best personalized plan for your project.
New driveway paving typically includes subgrade preparation, stone placement, and asphalt installation. Please see our New Paving page for more detail about the paving process. We recommend that you go easy on your driveway for the first week as the asphalt cures. Something as simple as a bicycle stand can damage your new driveway. We provide our customers with a maintenance plan to ensure their pavement investment is protected.
DRIVEWAY PAVEMENT REPAIRS: If your driveway has begun to show some wear with cracking, alligatoring, or potholes, RDU Paving can repair these areas for you. It is important for an estimator to visit your property to evaluate your driveway condition. Recommended Pavement Repair plans can vary drastically among paving contractors. It is important to fully understand what each paving contractor is proposing in order to select the best long-term value rather than the cheapest short-term price. There are numerous suitable options for pavement repair depending on the existing conditions.
- CRACK FILLING: Asphalt or Concrete Crack filling is used to prevent moisture from penetrating beneath the surface your driveway. Moisture underneath your driveway can cause further damage to your driveway. In addition, crack filling can help prevent vegetation from growing in your driveway which is another damaging factor for your driveway. Crack filling involves cleaning out the cracks and then applying hot pour crack filler to the cracks.
- SEALCOATING: Sealcoating should be applied after the asphalt pavement is 2 years old and should subsequently be reapplied every 2 years. Sealcoating helps renew the look of the asphalt pavement and extend the life of the pavement. Our product exceeds federal specifications, and we always apply 2 coats as recommended by the manufacturer. Our Sealcoating product is always pre-mixed, so there is no chance for the watering down of the product as experienced with some other sealcoating contractors. With our high standards, we offer a 1 year warranty for our sealcoating jobs.
- PAVEMENT DRESSING CONDITIONER/ASPHALT REJUVENATOR: Pavement Dressing Conditioner (PDC) also known as Asphalt Rejuvenator is a product that many customers are unfamiliar with. However, once they witness the results with PDC, they continue to request this product in lieu of our Sealcoating product. Asphalt Rejuvenator is a superior product to Sealcoating as it actually penetrates the pavement by up to 3/8″. PDC/Asphalt Rejuvenator extends the life of the asphalt pavement because it restores the viscosity of the pavement which has oxidized and dried out over time. PDC is a North Carolina Department of Transportation approved product unlike sealcoating. PDC has a non-skid service preventing the squealing sound experienced with sealcoating. PDC also has the advantage over Sealcoating because it typically lasts 4-5 years. With our PDC service, we offer a 3 year warranty. Many of our high-end customers recognize the long-term value with the PDC and choose to pay a little bit more for the PDC.
- ASPHALT REPAIR: Patching is a pavement solution that addresses specific failing pavement areas. Sometimes, we only need to fix a simple pothole, Other times, the asphalt pavement will have large, alligatored areas of pavement that will continue to spread if not patched in a timely manner. The Asphalt Repair process involves sawcutting and removing the damaged asphalt pavement areas. Asphalt is then placed and rolled to ensure proper density and smoothness.
- CONCRETE REPAIR: Concrete Repair areas often create a hazard for walking and driving conditions. We frequently encounter driveways, curb & gutter, and sidewalks in need of repair. To repair these problems, the concrete is broken up and removed offsite. New forms are placed to ensure the exact placement for the new concrete paving, curb & gutter, or sidewalks. The concrete is then placed and must be allowed to properly cure before removing the forms and allowing traffic on the area.
- OVERLAY: An asphalt overlay involves resurfacing the existing asphalt with a new layer of pavement. An overlay with fresh line striping can make a property look new again. Asphalt overlays can be a great option, but it is important to only complete an overlay when the existing pavement is in good enough condition. An overlay cannot be placed over areas that are failing with lots of cracking as these same cracking patterns will soon appear in the new asphalt overlay as “reflective cracking.” Be wary of paving contractors that propose simply resurfacing your property without addressing failing pavement areas.